Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions by Those Living with Us 

Questions about the Double Occupancy Room Program?

What is the difference between an apartment mate and a roommate?

We’ve created some vocabulary to assist with this question!
  • Primary Occupant –Refers to anyone who has entered into a housing agreement issued to them from HDH. They are responsible for all other additional occupants, if any, listed on the agreement.
  • Additional Occupant– Other individuals living with a Primary Occupant. They may include but are not limited to: Partner, Spouse, Roommate arranged by the primary occupant (double occupancy), Children, Legal Dependents
  • Roommate – Another term for an Additional Occupant.  A Roommate resides with the Primary occupant in a shared bedroom. They may or may not have a housing agreement with HDH. 
  • Apartment Mate – Occupants living in an apartment with other residents and are assigned to a separate bedroom. Apartment  Mates will have a separate housing agreement with HDH. 
  • Double Occupancy – Two single students who share one bedroom.

How do I sign up for the double occupancy program?

New Applicants

Current single applicants interested in the new double occupancy program with roommate matching provided by the University (located in Central Mesa (excluding 9226), South Mesa and One Miramar Street Apartments), need to update their current housing preference to indicate a double occupancy room type. Applicants can do so here.

If your housing application indicates that you would like to live in Coast, Mesa Nueva, Nuevo East and Nuevo West (except Brisa) and wish to share your bedroom with another eligible student, you will need to complete this process once you have a signed housing agreement. Once you have a signed housing agreement, you will visit your Resident Portal and click on “Add additional occupant to my housing agreement”. You will need your future roommate's name, email address and PID. Once submitted, you and your future roommate will receive further instructions.

Current Residents

Current single graduate students interested in the new double occupancy program with roommate matching provided by the University (located in Central Mesa (excluding 9226), South Mesa and One Miramar Street Apartments), need to submit a new housing application requesting a preference of a double occupancy room type. Sometime after July 1st, residents will be sent a new housing offer indicating the double occupancy monthly charges and projected start date. Please keep in mind, residents selecting the double occupancy charge may have to relocate to another apartment to receive the double room charges. 

If you are a resident in Coast, Mesa Nueva, Nuevo East and Nuevo West (except Brisa) and wish to share your bedroom with another eligible student, please visit your Resident Portal and click on “Add additional occupant to my rental agreement” You will need your future roommate's name, date of birth, email address and PID. Once submitted, you and your future roommate will receive further instructions. Move-in for this program will occur after Thursday, July 1st

If I elect to sign a rental agreement for a double occupancy room at OMS or Mesa, will my name be removed from the waitlist?

Yes. Your name will be removed from the waitlist. 

Does my time living in a double occupancy unit count as part of the two-year limit?

Yes, any time living in a Graduate and Family Housing Community counts as part of your two-year limit.

I am a Primary Occupant. What do I do if I want my additional occupant to move out?

Because the agreement is between you and your additional occupant and not with HDH, you and your additional occupant will need to determine steps for the move-out process.

If my roommate and I have an irreconcilable difference who has to relocate to a different accommodation?

One roommate will need to volunteer to relocate to a different unit.

I received notice from the Primary that I have to move out in 30 days? I’m not in a place where I can move off-campus.  What are my options?

You can submit a new housing application online. Please know that new applications will be subject to current wait times and availability.

If I share a room with another resident will we both receive a parking permit?

Yes, your roommate and/or additional occupant will receive a parking permit. Parking is available, first come first serve, based upon availability.

If my apartment mate and I pay our monthly charges based on the current charges structure and we have elected to pay the single occupancy charge and my apartment mate moves out will one or two residents be assigned to the vacant bedroom?

It will depend on who is next on the waitlist. If the next student on the waitlist is requesting double occupancy, then two students will be assigned to the vacant room in your unit.

My apartment mate has requested to share their room but I don’t want to share the apartment with another person. What can I do?

You can apply to relocate to another accommodation. Please contact your housing office and keep in mind that if you relocate to another shared unit this scenario may occur again, so if you want to live in single-occupancy housing you should select Nuevo West "Brisa" or Central Mesa building "9226". Please note that availability in these two buildings is limited. 

Will students have the option to live in a single-occupancy building?

Yes, HDH includes the option to indicate a preference to live in a single-occupancy building by selecting Central Mesa building "9226" or Nuevo West building "Brisa" on the housing application. Current agreement holders will have to relocate to these buildings to guarantee single occupancy.

Why were Central Mesa 9226 and Nuevo West – Brisa selected as single occupancy?

These buildings were selected based on student feedback on the double occupancy program.

I am an additional occupant with a resident and they are vacating.  Do I also need to vacate?

Yes, you will have to vacate as well. You can submit a new housing application online. Please know that new applications will be subject to current wait times and availability.

How will my SDG&E bill be split if I have a roommate?

The following communities require that residents establish their own accounts for electricity with San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E): Mesa, One Miramar Street or Mesa Nueva (1, 2 and 3 bedrooms only).
Residents sharing an unit or room should communicate on how the bill should be shared. Anytime a new roommate or apartment mate moves in or out, all current occupants should discuss the need to update or change the account name to ensure there is no disruption of services.

I live in a furnished accommodation and would like to select an additional occupant. Can Housing remove and store the furniture?

The furniture will need to be kept or stored within the unit. Housing does not have space to remove and store the furnishings.

I live in a furnished unit and would like to select an additional occupant. Will Housing add furniture?

No, residents will need to coordinate furniture to accommodate their new additional occupant.


I live in an area where HDH does roommate matching and have been matched with a roommate. If my roommate moves out, do I continue to pay ½ room rent, or I will be charged the full room rate until someone else moves in?

You will continue you pay the double occupancy charges until a roommate can be assigned to the space. Please note, you may be required to relocate to maintain the double occupancy rate.

My additional occupant is not paying rent. What can I do?

Because your additional occupant does not have a housing agreement with UC San Diego, you as the primary resident are responsible for the rental fees of your apartment or bedroom. 

What do I need to do to get ready for a new roommate?

There are several steps you can take to get ready for a new roommate:

  • Clean your bedroom and common area.
  • Ensure your personal belongings only occupy ½ of the room and ½ of the closet.
  • Communicate roommate expectations with your new roommate and current apartment-mates.
  • Consider completing a Roommate Agreement.

How are roommate conflicts handled?

Please contact the Housing staff to facilitate conversations.

Questions about Maintenance?

Something is broken in my university accommodation (or in my community). Who do I contact?

HDH Facilities and Building Services (FBS) are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Use HDH Fix It to request non-emergency repairs or call the Fix-It at 858.534.2600 for emergency repairs.

What constitutes an emergency repair?

An emergency repair is defined as a concern that will cause an immediate safety hazard to you and/or other residents or damage to the property. This includes a gas leak, electrical problem, broken pipe, overflowing toilet or a broken lock.

Do I need to be home to have work done in my unit?

No. You do not need to be home for the work to be completed. When submitting a work order, you are granting the permission to enter your apartment to complete the request work. As a courtesy, you will be asked to confirm the team has permission to enter your unit. If you stated yes, the team will perform the work if you are not at home. If you do not grant them permission, the team will stop by your apartment and knock on the door. Unfortunately, we are unable to make appointment times with residents, which may cause a delay in completing your request.

In cases of emergency repairs (see above), housing staff will enter your accommodation without notice.

The repair that I had done in my accommodation has not been completed to my satisfaction. What should I do?

Please contact the Fix-It at 858.534.2600 and explain the issue. They will open another work order and escalate the ticket so that a supervisor reviews it. If the work is still not completed, please contact your Housing Office and they will assist.

Can I remove any fixtures from my room and store them elsewhere (i.e. beds, furniture)?

If you live in a furnished unit, we are not able to move any furniture from your accommodation. If you have a request for a medically related accommodation, contact UC San Diego’s Office for Students with Disabilities.

My internet or cable isn’t working. Who do I contact?

  • Coast, Mesa, Rita, One Miramar St: Contact Spectrum at 800.964.2783 for service.
  • La Jolla del Sol: Contact your provider.
  • Mesa Nueva, Nuevo East and Nuevo West: Contact Spectrum Support at 855.214.2325 for service.

I have a pest issue in my apartment. Who do I contact?

Report problems with ants, roaches, spiders, rodents, etc. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Use HDH Fix It for non-emergency requests, or call the Fix-It at 858.534.2600

Can I add an air conditioner or dishwasher to my apartment? Or, can I paint or redecorate my accommodation?

No. Your housing agreement states that you cannot install improvements, including but not limited to appliances such as air conditioners and dishwashers in the apartment, or use molly bolts, screws, or fastening devices on walls, ceiling, or woodwork, or alter, repaint or redecorate the premises. 

Air Conditioners and portable heating units are also prohibited as part of the Fire Policy in the UC San Diego Residential Life Community Standards. 

Questions about your Housing Agreement?

Should I get personal property insurance?

It is highly suggested that you consider buying personal property insurance. The university, its employees, and agents assume no responsibility for the loss, theft, damage, or destruction of the personal property kept in your room. For detailed information regarding insurance specifically designed for UC San Diego renters, please click here.

Residents residing at La Jolla del Sol are required to furnish annual proof of personal property insurance, identifying the leased premise. This documentation is required prior to check-in.

Can I relocate to a different accommodation or community?

Those who wish to relocate to another housing community and have not resided for two years in graduate and family housing or have a month‐to‐month agreement may complete an application online. Once you apply, your name will be added to the housing waitlist.

Can I sublease my accommodation?

Yes. To allow you to maintain your housing status while you are away from UC San Diego to work, study, perform academic field research, take a vacation, or take an approved leave of absence, you may sublease. Subleasing is conducted through the Sublease Portal. Sublease agreements may be for a maximum of three quarters.

The person you select to sublease your room or accommodation must meet all of our housing eligibility requirements as outlined in the eligibility requirements in the handbook, policy document, and our website.

My housing agreement is expiring soon. What’s next?

For fixed-term housing agreements (those with a start and end date), there is no need to submit a notification of your move-out date unless you plan to leave prior to your lease end date.

For month-to-month housing agreements, you must provide 30 days’ notice. You should submit an Electronic Notice of Intent to Vacate (ENIV).

What do I need to do when I move out?

It's always a stressful time to move out. Here are some simple tips to keep in mind:

  • Take all of your belongings with you and be sure to clean your accommodation thoroughly. Keep in mind that there may be charges associated with cleaning or if you leave items for our team to remove.
  • Return ALL keys (and permits/gate remotes if applicable) to the Housing Office by midnight on the last day you are responsible for your monthly charges. 
    • If the office is closed, leave your keys in your mailbox or key drop box and notify the office so they can retrieve them the following business day.
  • Provide your forwarding address in the Resident Portal to ensure your mail is forwarded by UC San Diego Mail Services for 120 days.  Unfortunately, the United States Postal Service does not allow for mail forwarding service from university communities.

Please visit our handbook for more detailed information on moving out.

What if I want to move out of my current accommodation within Graduate and Family Housing prior to my housing agreement end date?

One of the benefits of living in a Graduate and Family Housing Community is that if we aren't a perfect fit for you or your plans change, you aren't locked into a long-term commitment. If you want to move out prior to your housing agreement end date, you just need to provide a 30-day notice of intent to vacate. You can submit your notice of intent to vacate through your Resident Portal.

Questions about Payment?

I am moving in soon, when will my monthly charges post to my student account? 

Your charges will post 2-5 days prior to your move-in date. Unless your move-in date is the first of the month. Then your charges will post on the first of the month.

When will my monthly charge post to my student account? 

Your monthly charges will post on the first of the month and is due by the fifth of the month. You will receive an email notification from our administrative billing team.

How do I pay my monthly charges?

Payment is due on the first day of each month and can be made online, wire transfer, or by check.

Pay online through TritonPay. Select “Account History” or “Activity since Statement Date” to view/ pay your total balance by e-check or credit card. TritonPay allows students to selectively pay line items on their account including their housing monthly charges. As long as the item is on your bill, you can selectively pay it with an e-check, credit card, and international wire payments through Western Union & Flywire.

Checks must be made payable to "UC REGENTS" and paid at the Cashier's office in person or via their dropbox. The Central Cashier’s Office is located at the Student Services Center building.

Cashier's office
9500 Gilman Drive Student Services Center, Suite 170 La Jolla CA. 92093
Dropbox is located on the south side of the cashier's office
Phone: 858-822-4727

In-Person: It is open Monday-Friday from 10am-4pm (except holidays). They accept cash & checks. The student/staff will fill out a payment card with your name, check # and payment amount. If paying by check, your PID should be on the front of the check & checks should be made payable to "UC Regents". The student/staff member should be sure to let the cashier know what your payment is intended for.

Dropbox: Dropbox is available 24/7. Payments are pulled Mon-Fri from the dropbox twice a day -- when we arrive for the day usually between 7:30-8am & at 2pm (except for Holidays). There are payment cards & envelopes available at the dropbox. Checks should include your PID and if the payment is for rent, that can be noted on the check or on the payment card.

A note about registration fees: If your registration fees for the current and/or upcoming quarter are currently assessed to your student account, TritonPay will allow you to make a “rent only” payment online via TritonLink. If you encounter any issues trying to make a “rent only” payment via TritonLink, you may make a payment at the Central Cashier’s Office using their 24-hour dropbox. Learn more here.

I am paying by Western Union or Flywire/wire transfer; my payment may take 3-30 business days to process. What should I do?

Please scan and email the payment/confirmation receipt from your bank and Western Union or Flywire that contains your unique reference number to Please note, delinquency procedures may be performed during this period

I am having technical issues with TritonLink and need assistance. Who can I contact? 

Contact the ITS Service Desk directly by phone at 858-246-4357 (7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Friday. After-hours on-call support is available from 10:01 p.m. – 6:59 a.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends) or by email at

I am having issues with TritonPay on TritonLink and need assistance. Who can I contact? 

Contact Student Financial Solutions (SFS) directly by phone at 858-822-4727 (8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.) or if you are a non-current student or parent who does not have Active Directory (AD) credentials, you can contact SFS directly by email at  If you have are a current student, you can find answers, request services, and get help from the SFS team by going to the UC San Diego Services & Support portal here.    

What can I do if I know my monthly charges payment will be late?

If you are in a situation that will prevent you from paying your monthly charges on time, you can arrange for late payment by completing the online Monthly Charges Deferment form before the fifth of the month that your charges are due.

You may submit the monthly charges deferment form anytime during the month. However, when you submit the deferment before the fifth of the month, you will avoid a $20 late charge (for a maximum of three times per calendar year.)

I am experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19 or for another reason. What can I do? 

If you are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19 or for any other reason, please contact The Hub – Basic Needs. You can also request a payment plan through the housing office

UC San Diego has a Basic Needs Emergency Grant available to students who do not have sufficient funds for food or housing as a result of an illness or quarantine due to COVID-19, lack of employment or any related issue due to the current campus status. Students are asked to reach out to The Hub – Basic Needs and complete a Basic Needs Assistance Form.

What happens if I fail to fill out the Monthly Charges Deferment form?

You will receive a courtesy email from the Housing Office reminding you that we have not received your monthly charges payment.  This email will advise you to make your payment prior to a specified date to avoid further formal action. 

 What if my financial situation cannot be resolved in the next month or two?

Please contact your Housing Office. We will structure a payment plan for you.

I am vacating my apartment this month. When will my pro-rated monthly charges be posted?

Your pro-rated monthly charges will be reflected on your University account within five business days after charges have been posted.

Questions about Safety & Security?

Who do I call if I am locked out of my apartment?

The offices will handle lockouts during the hours below:

For Coast and La Jolla del Sol Apartments, Monday thru Friday from 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

For Mesa, One Miramar Street, Mesa Nueva, Nuevo West and Nuevo East, Monday thru Friday from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.

After these hours residents will need to call HDH Fix-It at 858-534-2600 for assistance. 

What should I do if there is a security concern in the community?

If you see something, say something. Whether someone is acting strange or you see something that doesn’t seem right, Campus Police and Residential Security officers are here to help. You can reach them at 858.534.4357.

If there is an emergency or a crime taking place, dial 911. For after-hours noise complaints, lockouts, and non-emergency concerns requiring attention, call 858.534-4357.

University Safety Officers (USOs) are assigned to each of our residential areas, USOs work from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily.

Can I view police reports for my community?

Yes. UC San Diego Police creates a daily crime log. You can also check out CrimeMapping.

Why is there a PIN number required for my keycard?

Without a PIN number, anyone with your keycard could access your apartment. The PIN provides an additional layer of security.

Questions about Living in our Communities?

Where can I view the UC San Diego Residential Life Community Standards?

The Residential Life Community Standards, which are agreed to as part of residents' rental agreement can be found at the Office of Student Conduct. The Community Standards can be found here

 I have a noise concern with my neighbor. What should I do?

If there is a consistent noise concern with your neighbor (not just one time), we suggest you talk to them in a friendly manner to let them know. They may be unaware, so a friendly chat may be all that is needed. If the noise persists, please contact your Housing Office and we will contact the resident(s). We may ask that you set up a meeting with you and your neighbor to facilitate a conversation. For after-hours noise complaints, lockouts, and non-emergency concerns requiring attention, call 858.534.4357.

Who should I contact if I have a question about a community policy?

The Housing Office staff can assist you with a variety of issues, including billing questions, lockouts, guest keys, parking permits, roommate issues, noise concerns, notices of intent to vacate, and any policy or procedural questions that you may have. You can meet our team on our website for contact details for a specific individual.

Who should I contact if I unsatisfied with a community policy or decision?

Any resident who is unsatisfied with a policy, practice, or decision may submit an online written request for review to the Graduate and Family Housing Advisory Committee. You can submit your appeal online

The Graduate and Family Housing Contract Appeals Committee is charged to provide an avenue for review of extraordinary student circumstances that have resulted in a student seeking exception to policies and procedures outlined in or related to the housing contract through the use of an online appeals process. All meetings are held in closed session for student privacy.

Committee Members

Staff Chair


Basic Needs Representative

To be appointed by Vice-Chancellor of Student Affairs

Graduate Student Representative #1

To be appointed by GPSA

Graduate Student Representative #2

To be appointed by GPSA

Items that may not be appealed: 

  • Eligibility for Campus Housing
  • Accommodations determined by Office of Students with Disabilities: Appeals notating mental, physical and/or medical challenges should first be referred to the Office for Students with Disabilities to review for possible housing accommodations. 
  • Rental Rates
  • Matters determined by Grad Division, departments or programs. Ex: Student asked to leave campus by Grad Division via conduct process.
  • Matters covered to federal, state, county and local laws.
  • Matters not specifically pertaining to the student submission.
  • Matters of waitlist application priority, expiration, or offer refusal. Ex: a) Waitlist applicant refuses two regular offers and has their application archived.  b) Waitlist applicant misses 2 waitlist updates and application archived.  c) Individual wants priority (on the Waitlist) but does not have established priority status.
  • Resubmission of a similar appeal by the same student under the same rental agreement.
  • Previous GFH residents who have fulfilled their two-year eligibility and have moved off-campus.
  • SHORE/Priority status cannot be given retroactively or reinstated after moving out of GFH Housing.
  • Rental Agreement terms: Ex: a) Damages due to resident negligence/lack of renter's insurance would be handled by small claims court process. b) Building modifications per The Handbook.  c) Moving out or submitting a Notice of Intent to Vacate with less than 30 days notice.  If a resident wants to pursue the monies lost for less than 30-day notice, resident(s) may pursue small claims court to recover their funds.
  • UCSD Campus issued directives, requirements and policy.

Appeals for extensions will not be reviewed more than 120 days prior to your rental agreement end date.

I have a concern with my roommate. What should I do?

Each resident brings a different set of expectations. Within the first few days of moving in together, we recommend roommates complete our Roommate Agreement. It’s not an official document, but you should settle on some house rules and make agreements about how you plan to share your space.

If your roommate repeatedly does something that negatively impacts your life, be sure to bring it up. The secret to talking through conflict with a roommate is calling them in rather than calling them out. This means inviting your roommate into a conversation about how you can get along better rather than making one-sided accusations. If, after your conversation, the situation does not improve, please reach out to the Housing Office team. They will help walk you through your options and next steps.

How do I request a medical accommodation?

The Office for Students with Disabilities works with students with documented disabilities to review documentation and determine reasonable accommodations. You will need to request an accommodation with their office, which can be done online here.

How do I get mail or packages?

UC San Diego Mail Services receives United States Postal Service (USPS) mail and packages and processes them for residents at Mesa Nueva, Nuevo West, Nuevo East, Rita and One Miramar St. Once processed, Mail Services delivers them to the Housing Offices, where it is placed inside your assigned mailbox or held in our package room. Unfortunately, USPS’ policies do not allow delivery directly to our individual mailrooms. Residents at these communities will be issued a combination at move-in for your assigned mailbox. 

  • You must use your full name and address, including your box number. Misaddressed mail or the use of nicknames and aliases will cause it to be delayed or returned.
  • U.S. mail is delivered Monday through Friday. It is delivered the same day that it is received by mail services. 
  • Watch a video of the mail process here

For residents at La Jolla del Sol, Coast, Central, and South Mesa, USPS delivers mail direct to assigned mailboxes located on the side of every building or outside of community rooms. A mailbox key will be issued at move-in. There may be a fee to replace a lost mailbox key. 

Can I access the Amazon Lockers in Graduate and Family Housing?

Yes! We have three lockers located at Mesa Nueva, Nuevo West and Nuevo East that can be accessed by all residents. Instructions for Amazon Lockers can be found here. The lockers' names are below.  

Nuevo West: Rukus

Mesa Nueva: Convex

Nuevo East: Furniture

Where do I park?

Parking is by permit only in designated areas. Your permit will work in all Graduate and Family Housing lots. Transportation Services will issue a citation if your vehicle is not in working condition, or parked illegally. Please review parking guidelines in the Handbook here.

Parking permits for residents may be requested by completing the online form with your personal and vehicle information for review by the office. Please note you will need to upload your current car registration and may need to provide proof of insurance if your vehicle is not registered in your name. Parking permits are enforced Monday to Friday 9:00AM to 4:00PM except as posted.

Long-term parking options for Nuevo East, Nuevo West, Mesa Nueva, Mesa & One Miramar Street include the Ola parking garage at Mesa Nueva, the Vela parking garage (in the Residential “G” spaces only), the OMS parking structure and Mesa surface parking lots.

Parking is being enforced in the 1-hour loading/drop-off zones and are not intended for long-term parking. 

Short Term parking options can be found here

How do I find out what is happening in my community?

We have a lot of channels we use to share important information about living here. It is important that we have your up-to-date email address. We use email as the main form of communication with residents.

You will get emails from our office regarding upcoming maintenance work or other important community announcements. We have a monthly newsletter that also highlights all the great things happening in our communities. To contact our office, simply reply to one of those emails.

Our HDH CONNECT Team sends emails weekly with a list of their upcoming events and activities. You can also look for signage posted around your community to see what’s going on.

We host quarterly community meetings during the academic year. These meetings typically don’t have an agenda, but they are an opportunity for residents to talk to us about what they are experiencing living with us.

We also have a Facebook page, an Instagram account, and a Twitter account. Feel free to use those to connect with other residents and with our team.

How can I get to know people in my community?

In order to facilitate community building, we support the work of Community Assistants (CAs). These are UC San Diego student residents who help plan events and activities to create a sense of community centered on residents’ needs and suggestions. For an accurate schedule of events, visit our website. You can also find the events being planned by our CAs on our Facebook page, posted flyers and electronic boards around our communities, or by stopping by the Housing Office.

How do I reserve one of the community rooms for a personal event?

You can reserve a community room online through our website.